Thursday, July 29, 2010

let's glue this together...

...tuesday, my day off, I decided to go visit my mom. She came up with the idea to sew my cousin's block quilt together. [A bunch of us cousins one "cousin's sleepover" decided to put together a quilt which included a block created from each individual cousin.] This was a very fun idea and two years later (i believe that's when we did it), I'm finally putting the blocks together and making the quilt! Since everyone has different tastes when it came to fabric, I had many shades of colors and many different designs. I layed out the quilt and knew it was suppose to be random but I wanted to bring some order to the wide variety. so....my quilt is organized with the bright colors on one end and fades into the duller, lighter colors :) I thought I was very creative with this pattern, that when I get to tieing it I want to start with a bright color on one end and a duller color for the other end. My quilt is definitely going to have some personality! I can't wait to see Aunt L's face when she sees my crazy idea :)
...after laying out my quilt, I tell my mom, "let's glue this together and then put the border on..." We had a good laugh with that one. Apparently I don't sew very often and thought we could glue it ;) Also, I had some troubles with keeping an eye on the four corner blocks. When I was in Oak City a little while back...I remember Aunt L saying, "where is your fourth block?" On that day I remember looking through the bag I kept the quilt in and finally found it. So the morning before leaving my house to travel to my mom's, I counted them to make sure I had all four. I did. but as we proceeded to put the border together, I could not find that fourth block! I know that it had travelled with me so it had to be here somewhere...after some good laughs and jokes about that block not wanting to be sewn, I found it in the laundry room...I can only guess that it must have stuck to me on my way to do laundry :) and it only gets funnier....as we are sewing the border together [since everyone sews different and measures different] we ended up not really needing that block anyways because of the way it lined up. My mom thought we should cut one of the edges and make the block line up like it is suppose to but after all the trouble we went through with this block, I decided to leave it so that I will always have the funny memory.
You could think of this quilt as a symbol of all of us cousins. We all have different personalities, reflect different colors, live our lives in different patterns, and when we attempt to mesh together, some of us contrast each other while others clash. But all-in-all we are able to "make a beautiful and whole quilt" of our lives even if we don't come together perfectly...

No comments: