Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Intro to Literature

I'm taking a literature class this semester..decided to take it instead of public speaking. I have a hard time getting up in front of a lot of strangers and speaking, so this class seemed like a better route to go. (I have to have a communications class to graduate.)
We have read "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien and are now reading "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I really like this class. We learn a lot of analytical/literature stuff. I wanted to post this post to tell everyone to try and read some kind of literature. "Life of Pi" is a fiction novel so literature doesn't mean boring. :) My class feels like a book club...which I'm really loving. I would also like to mention that I have never been a reader. Never! I usually read enough to get by. This class has really broadened out my viewpoint on reading. It really is enjoying! ha ha I can finish a book in little time. My words per minute have increased drastically and also my vocabulary has upgraded. There are a lot of plusses to reading more often. Who would have thought.
If you would like to get a feeling for what we talk about in class, we have a class blog (another fun assignment for my class) http://www.uvu2200.blogspot.com/ This is where the class posts their feelings about the book. After I'm done with this class I think it would be really fun to set up a blog for a group of friends to comment...like a book club online! How 21st century of us!

No comments: