Saturday, November 28, 2009

For the Love of Reading

Lincoln brought to my attention today that I seem to be always reading something. So I thought about it and listed the books that I currently am reading out of...
  • Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing--for intro to lit class
  • Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle
  • Tony Hillerman's Skeleton Man
  • Western Wind--poetry for Intro to Lit class
  • Statistical Techniques in business and economics--for Stats class
  • Macroeconomics--for Macro class
  • News papers and articles about Parking at Universities--for Business Writing class

The range of books is definitely due to school.

The second and third books are entertainment books not required for school. The Glass Castle I got from a friend that was reading it at work so I asked her if I could read it after she was done. The back of the book says,

It is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family. The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered.

The back of Skeleton Man says,

Former Navajo Tribal Police Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn is coming out of retirement to help exonerate a slow, simple kid accused of robbing a trading post. Billy Tuve claims he received the diamond he tried to pawn from a mysterious old man in the canyon, and his story has attracted the dangerous attention of strangers to the Navajo lands--one more interested in a severed limb than in the fortune it was handcuffed to; another willing to murder to keep lost secrets hidden. But nature herself may prove the deadliest adversary, as Leaphorn and Sergeant Jim Chee follow a puzzle--and a killer--down into the dark realm of Skeleton Man.

I really like both of these books and have read a Tony Hillerman book before. He is a very entertaining writing in the criminal investigation along with Native American writing. Shakespeare is very interesting but definitely rewarding to read. He really has a way with his words--you know what I mean if you have read his literature before. Then there is poetry for Lit class; I'm struggling with actually enjoying it but I think my understanding of it is slowing coming to.

The next books are not so entertaining but are very interesting :) Stats is enjoyable to me because it has to do with a lot of math--which I like. Macroeconomics is not my favorite but has to be learned. And I have a paper due on Parking Permits at Universities so I'm reading about that.

My mom has been reading a lot also. I hope to read the books she has read when I have my summer break from school. I never read very often in my earlier years but I am really enjoying it lately. Give it a try! :) and if you have any suggestions on books you have read or are reading, I would love to hear about them.

No comments: